Friday, September 6, 2013

Dinwiddie County Fair / Susan G Komen & Massey Cancer Center Booth

With Karen before we began...it was SO hot...wowza
Last night I got to work my first event with Susan G. Komen out in the community. I worked at a vendor information booth alongside my new friend Karen Gregory, who is the Community Health education Coordinator for the VCU Massey Cancer Center. She knew a LOT of information that i learned from her, not just about breast cancer but about cancer in general, and some of the ways that Massey and other organizations who partner with Susan G. Komen (ones like the Virginia Breast Cancer Foundation, who I also support) are reaching people who otherwise might not get to see a doctor in the more rural areas.

This fair was a good example of that, despite the lower attendance being a weeknight for the fair, we still spoke to 2 or 3 dozen different individuals about the programs available after inviting them to "spin the wheel for prizes" (Burt's Bees lipgloss ladies!). It was a great way to break the ice and I got the chance to speak to several caregivers as well as another fellow survivor and many younger ladies who didn't even know what some of the signs to watch for were. I really have to say that a low stress, fun approach like this definitely allows some people to feel comfortable enough to ask questions. And that's what it's really all about..

I know...it looks funny, right? But I was actually sharing my story of how I first discovered my tumor myself with a caregiver who has had quadruple bypass surgery himself! It reminded me that not only do we need to support our survivors and the recently diagnosed, but earnestly recognize & thank those who look after us, support us and care for us as well...often times while having to face their own medical challenges too!