Monday, January 3, 2011

My rescue babies...

A lot of people ask me if I personally own a rescue pet? My answer is of course! Which one?

Candy Cane's Rescue Plea..& the first time I saw her pic!
My love of animals started at a young age, my parents worked at a place called Pet-Go-Round when I was little and I loved to go with them to the store and play with the animals and work to socialize and love the puppies and kittens and yes, I did my share of cleaning too. As I grew older, I came to realize the plight of the thousands of animals that were FREE for adoption, just waiting for a forever home.

My parents went on to other, better jobs but my love for pets continued. I interned one summer with a veterinarian who had several clients who had to abandon their pets due to inability to pay for needed medical care. In the rural south, many owners just don't have the wherewithal to properly care for their four-legged friends.

I started by working with low cost spay/neuter programs, still our most powerful ally in making every pet a wanted pet. When my daughter was younger she wanted a puppy and I knew then a rescue dog was our only consideration! I firmly believe that the care of a pet is a responsibility and blessing to a child...for it is from caring for those weaker than ourselves that we learn compassion as well as to share.

Fast forward ten years later, I still have our "puppy" Allie, along with other friends brought home to become part of the family. Our kittens Candy Cane (Henry County) and General Hampton (Spaulding County) both came to us through Winging Cat Rescue, pulled from two of the highest kill shelters in Georgia. They bonded being close in age and remind me daily of just WHY we have to work to end gassing in ALL states. I thank Heavenly Father daily for the fact these two were saved from the gas chamber in Georgia. Now, in 2011, no pet has to end their life that way in Georgia and we must work to ensure other states will follow.

Take a look at these precious angels and see if you don't agree that they're worth the fight!

General Hampton's Rescue Plea & Fundraiser


Happy siblings in their Forever Home!!
 








Fattening up our new baby...she loves milk!

General Hampton's first meal in his new home!